* The height of a horse is measured using the unit, "hand", where one hand = 4 inches. (ex. Horse measures 15h, it is 15x4 = 60" tall)
* The actual daily amount of water that most horses need to consume (at a minimum) to maintain body functions and remain properly hydrated is between a half gallon to a gallon per 100 pounds of body weight. (ex. 1,000lb horse needs 5-10 gallons/day)
* Horses teeth never stop growing therefore regular dental care from a veterinarian is necessary.
* Mature horses sleep up to 4 hours each day in short increments. They do so lying down or while standing.
* The age of a horse is best determined by examining it's teeth.
* Horses are Herbivores - (An animal that feeds on plants)
* Depending on lifestyle, health, etc., a horse can live to be over 30 years old. (The oldest horse on record lived to the age of 62 and died in 1822.)
* Horses are social animals who will get lonely if kept alone and will mourn the passing of a companion.